Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Pat it, Roll it, Put it in a pan...

Recipes.
They are usually fun, sometimes difficult to find good ones and it can be frustrating wasting ingredients on bad ones.
Some make you really wonder about the creator too...you know what I mean. "Hmm...the stuffing goes where?" "...day 5 of the recipe? ...maybe it should be called a re-starter instead?" ;)


I've gotten my recipes from a jumble of places and people. I even have a recipe for cookies called "Jumbles". lol
I have a nice recipe for a lemon sauce that I made once, just because I had lemons and it sounded good....then I didn't know what to put the sauce on.
Well, it also turned out to make a decent amount of sauce and I was the only one eating it since this was before the girls came along. So...I tried the sauce on everything from pancakes to chicken.
It was good, but then I was so tired of lemon sauce that I don't think I've touched the recipe since. ;-) Now I'm not sure if I could get Shi to put down her favorite condiment of ketchup for lemon sauce...


Pumpkin Casserole is a recipe I found when I was a newlywed and I love it. It reminds me of pumpkin pie without the crust.
I have changed it a little and I'll share my version here, the original can be found on Allrecipes


"Pumpkin Casserole"

2c. pumpkin puree
1c. evaporated milk
2/4c. brown sugar
1/4c. white sugar
1/2c. flour
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4tsp. salt
2 eggs
1tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. butter (very soft or melted)
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4tsp. nutmeg

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  • Mix and spoon into 13x9" pan/casserole dish
  • Bake for 1 hour

Pretty simple and easy, which is perfect for me these days. I just realized that I like it a little overbaked...but I think that's just because that is what would happen when I first started making it in my temperamental 1940's oven I had then! ;) Man, that thing was a pain. I had to rotate my cakes just to get them to bake evenly...and the oven was crooked too so all the baked goods had a decided slant to them. lol.

Another recipe that is a bit different, but I love, is grape pie.


"Ruby Grape Pie"


4c. halved, seedless, red grapes (approx. 2lbs)

2/3c. sugar

1/2tsp. cinnamon

3TBSP. cornstarch

2TBSP. Lemon juice

1TBSP. Grated Lemon peel

Pastry - Double crust

2TBSP. Butter or Margarine

In a saucepan combine grapes, sugar, and cinnamon, toss to coat. Let stand 15min. Combine starch, juice, and peel. Stir into grape mixture.

Bring to a boil, cook and stir for 2min or until thickened. Line a 9" pie plate with bottom crust. Add filling and dot with butter. Top with top crust, trim, seal, and flute edges. Cut vent slits in top. Cover edges loosely with foil. Bake at 425 degrees for 20 min. Reduce oven to 350 degrees, remove foil and back 30-35min til crust is light brown. Cool on rack.

I really do love this recipe. It's more tangy than an apple pie, but sweeter than mincemeat. I buy pounds of grapes when they go on sale and do the prep work of halving them and measuring out the amount I need, then I freeze that amount in a freezer bag and it's ready when I am. It also saves a lot of foil when making pies to invest in a crust protector, I love mine that my Mom and I found at a craft show. I had a hard time finding them otherwise, though they are searchable online.

Happy Baking! :)

No comments: