Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Hibiscus...c'mon say it 10x fast.

Yesterday I planned to just drop the library books off and then go on with the rest of my errands, but Shiloh was excited about the library and wanted to get more books.

The library wasn't too busy, though it looked like they had something going on there earlier because there were scissors and crayons on the kids table (which I quickly moved out of Vivi's reach). Vivian likes to just sit at the kids table and wait for me to bring her books.
The AC was nice to enjoy too, though it made the day feel that much hotter when we left!

I got the girls a few books, but nothing for Mommy this time. It's too frustrating to get into a really interesting book and be interrupted every few minutes...seconds....milliseconds...
It was nice to get lost in the novel after the kids went to bed, but unfortunately the laundry didn't put itself away while I was reading...
Shiloh wanted to personally hand each book to the librarian to be checked out too, she has quickly learned the process. :)


I spent some time yesterday researching this shrub/tree that we have growing next to our house. DH keeps wanting to pull it out, but then this summer it bloomed so prettily. I took a picture of the blooms and finally through comparing pictures online, I found out that it is a "Rose of Sharon" also known as "Hibiscus Syriacus".

It is quite tall now and I guess they can grow up to 15 feet tall! Sooo I told DH he can prune away at it this fall or next spring. He's been concerned about how tall it is getting already!



They do have nice blossoms, if you don't mind the Japanese beetle. I had the camera on zoom to capture these blooms near the top of shrub, so I didn't notice him until after I loaded the pics into the computer.

It's been a bad year for Japanese beetles here. They've been feasting on our geranium, zucchini, and apparently also this Hibiscus! They seem to be leaving the tomatoes and pumpkins alone though, so for that I am thankful. I've sprayed the geranium and zucchini plants, but this shrub is just too big and tall for me to even reach or have enough spray to cover it.

I have another smaller bush near the garage that I still need to identify. The leaves change all different colors during the year. Green, bright red, and right now they are a bit orange already...I think it might be a burning bush, but I'm not sure yet.

I was showing Shiloh a map and telling her that they were supposed to put a new Wal-mart at a location I pointed to, but I didn't know if they would ever do it because it's been so long already.

She said "Well...it's kinda heavy! Mama,Wal-Marts are heavy!" lol

I didn't think about it that way, they certainly are heavy!

I bought some wheat flour the other day. The girls love pancakes, waffles, muffins, quick breads etc. so I thought it would be a nice way to make them a bit healthier. I made muffins last night, mini and regular sized ones...the mini ones are a good size for the girls.

I divided the amount of flour into half white and half wheat and the girls didn't seem to notice any difference. They devoured them just the same! :)



No comments: