Wednesday, September 28, 2011

It's a Star, it's a Meteor, it's a Bolide!

I was looking out the window the other night because it was oddly bright out.
I'm still not sure what (or why) lights were on that were making it so bright.
While I was looking out the window, suddenly a huge shooting star went across the sky.
I have never seen one so big or so seemingly close. I could actually see the blue around the white of it as it fell. So amazing!

So it got me curious to look up shooting stars/meteoroids.
From Wikipedia "The visible path of a meteoroid that enters Earth's (or another body's) atmosphere is called a meteor, or colloquially a shooting star or falling star."
They have some amazing pictures out there.
I also found that it looks like what I saw would be called a "Bolide" which is an especially bright meteoroid. :)

The girls have been trading bikes so Vivi is getting some practice riding Shi's two-wheeler. It's wearing me out though following her and pushing her and racing to catch her as she wobbles. :)

We've been trying to enjoy each nice day we have before it starts getting colder.
The girls love to check out the hydrangeas each time we go out, they love the different colored blossoms.
I also found out that Home Depot was selling my hydrangeas...same brand, same pot, everything. But one cost more than what I paid for all three of my clearance hydrangeas!
I'm pretty happy about my savings there! :)

I also was able to get two more zucchini from the garden. They are a little small but the squirrels were starting to get to them so it was either pick them now or lose them.
It's always a battle with the squirrels!

No comments: