Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Hamster funeral...

Well, I guess the title says it all.
Cinderella died last night. :(

Normally, I probably wouldn't have found out until sometime today since the Hamsters often sleep during the day anyways and only wake when I feed them or at night.
But last night I needed to clean their bins and Cinderella was in bad shape then.
She had been very hyperactive all day and now she was pretty much lifeless.
I hopped on Google and it came up with three possibilities for her behavior.
The first two, Heat stroke and Hibernation...But um, it's March. Not too hot and not too cold.

Number Three was a big Bingo though.
Diabetes.
I started reading through Hamster Diabetes symptoms and that was it.
Her stinky pee and her waking often during the day.
Yesterday I noticed she had peed a lot more than normal, and she was very hyper....just to the point where I was thinking something was odd.
At least looking through treatment, we were already doing everything right.

I told the girls this morning and let them pet her.
And they got their little spades and helped me bury her.
They did really well.

We needed to go to Walmart today so I grabbed our mini pet carrier and we had a discussion in the truck about whether we wanted to get another hamster today or not.
The vote was...not right now.

I read online that if you get a diabetic hamster it's best not to get another hamster from the same store since it's genetic and makes it more likely that we might get another one with diabetes.
So that leaves us with Petsmart hamsters at the moment....and all they carry are boys.
The girls aren't thrilled with the idea of a boy so we'll see how it goes.

They were digging in the garden yesterday and found a worm and they wanted to bring it inside as a pet, so who knows we might even end up with something else entirely.
Though no worms, thank you.


3 comments:

Heather said...

Sorry about Cinderella. ((HUGS)) to the girls... and you!

Cindy said...

AWE - I am so so sad about the loss of Cinderella. That is rough. Condolences to your girls. Hopefully they can move on and remember all the good times with her. HUGS!

Mama to the Princesses said...

Thanks Heather, you know me. At least the girls didn't cry or I would've been a wreck!

Thank you, Cindy. I'm glad I was able to take a little video of the girls playing with Cinderella last week.