Monday, August 26, 2013

On your mark, get set, Go!

Ready to start another year!

This year we're working on learning the States and their Capitals.
The girls' little chalkboard has worked well for that.
I also made a Master List for the wall.
We check off each State/Capital that they remember with a little mark of their choosing.
Shiloh has chosen little brown hearts, and she's zooming through! In just a week, she's memorized 4 already!
Vivian has chosen little kitty faces and she remembers the Capital of our Home State so she's doing well too! :)

Shiloh has been tackling a lot of work with Number Places.
Putting numbers in their right place, writing out the numbers, locating the number in a certain place etc.
And she has been totally stumped.
I've been explaining and writing it and counting it and it was just not working.
So I made her this Number Places Chart and put it in page protector so she can keep it in her math book. I wrote it counting backwards so she could see that if there are two numbers then you look at the chart and the "2" is under the ten's place, three numbers is the hundred's place and so on.
She says it "helps a little bit"... 
I've looked everywhere and I haven't found anything better yet.
I guess we'll see how it goes...the year is young!

I find it so irritating this time of year, that when I'm out with the girls and people, random people, announce to us "School's starting soon!"
Seriously, This is not a proper greeting, people!
Say "Hello" first. Comment on the weather.
Proper social skills.

Speaking of social skills, Shiloh has started telling everyone to "Have a nice day!" when we're out and about.
I asked her about it and she said "I heard someone tell you that, and I thought that would be a nice thing to say." :)



No comments: