Monday, August 26, 2013

The day I grabbed a tomato worm...

...with my bare hands! TWICE!
Ick!

The girls wanted to trim their grass sprouts' "hair" so we went outside, and I started to do my usual pruning and checking of my tomato plants.
First thing I notice that the entire top of one bush is completely eaten down the to the stems.
(ARGH!)
So I'm looking all over for the culprit(s) and I found tons and tons of caterpillar poo but no caterpillar.
Then I find another, much smaller, bush that has also been eaten down.
I start looking under the bush, looking up to see if anything is hanging under the leaves and I see a leaf with some white spots that look like eggs.
So I grab the leaf to rip it off of the plant and it squishes.
Squishes!
Yup, grabbed right onto a huge tomato worm.
Yuck!
Then we had to go back inside because it started raining, so I start researching the worms.
My garden has been doomed from the start this year.
The worms can strip plants in just hours, they also eat the tomatoes (as evidenced by half a green tomato I found), and basically can kill your tomato plants pretty fast.
Yep. Worst garden year ever!

So I head back outside when the rain lets up to look for any more worms.
I grab a stalk to move it out of the way for a better look and...squish!
Believe it or not, I grabbed another worm!
Apparently that is the only way I can find them...by grabbing them!
yuck.yuck.Yuck!

I also cleaned the turtle tank and the hamster bin today so it's not like my hands were all manicured and beautiful but still, yuck, especially when you're not expecting it!



No comments: