Saturday, November 09, 2013

Octopus Aloe

 Cactuses like me.
They like being abandoned into the front porch all summer baking in the afternoon heat, and when their soil has turned rock-like, receiving a sudden rush of a "Oops-forgot-about-you-hope-you-don't-die" water bath.
Then I bring them indoors once the nighttime temperatures reach around 40 degrees.

This year when I went to bring in my aloe it was a real feat. This thing has exploded into a giant octopus aloe!
Suddenly it was super-heavy and wouldn't fit anywhere without knocking things over or grabbing at your sleeve as you walked by.
It started out quite small and I wasn't even sure it would live very long, and now it's so massive that I use one of the tentacles...yes, tentacles to hold back my curtains.
Each time a tentacle broke off, I shoved it into the soil...basically because it was easier than walking it over to the trash can.
So now I have baby octopus aloes growing.

I thought a little aloe would be a good thing to have on hand in case of minor burns.
Well, this thing could supply a hospital!

It does hold on to my Christmas tree topper pretty well though.

I found this little gnome the other day and I just could resist him.
I wasn't planning on putting him on my actual Christmas tree anyways just wanted to set him somewhere.

I'm not sure if I made the problem any better...maybe just weirder.

No comments: